Following are some suggestions on what to do in the event of a pipeline leak:
- Turn off all sources of ignition.
- Extinguish all flames, do not smoke.
- Do not start or turn on vehicle/electrical equipment, or use cell phones, pagers or 2-way radios.
- Leave the area immediately on foot and try to prevent others from entering and warn others.
- Move out of the path in a cross-wind direction and then move upwind of the possible source.
- If you need to notify neighbors knock on doors, do not use doorbells.
- Once in a safe location, call 911, then notify the pipeline company if known.
- If pipeline leak is on fire, do not attempt to extinguish any flames.
- Do not attempt to operate pipeline valves.
Your safety should be your first concern!
Public safety and environmental protection are top priorities in any pipeline emergency. If you suspect a leak from an Olin or Dow pipeline, get to a safe location and call Dow’s 24 hour emergency numbers as follows:
Dow Pipeline Company
Emergency Phone Number: 979-238-2112 / 1-800-223-4412